Dear 16 Year Old Self...9/22/2013
Dear 16 Year Old Penny,
You are 16, wow, I don't envy you! There's so much that is about to change in your life, it will mold and shape you into the woman you will be when I'm writing this letter at 29 Years Old. You have had some dark days, some bright ones and some so luminous that you can't even yet dream of them. These types of letters are never exactly meant to be a guide or glimpse into your future but if I can give guidance to help you where you are now I'll do my best.
1. Your parents will never get any better, they are great parents individually but please accept the reality that they will only come together in a positive way for you only a couple times in your future. They don't mean to continue to cause the pain that is associated with it, it's just the way it is and you need to move on and accept it. You'll never make either of them happy with your decisions or what's happening in your life 100% of the time but you can make yourself happy and know that they will do their best to support that.
2. Try harder in school. I know you are bored, I know you are interested in so many other things and searching for what makes you whole but everything associated with your desire to ditch school is not always positive. You are bright and smart and so very worth being educated.
3. That boy, yes the one who has just entered your life, he will forever change you. He is a good boy but guard your heart and know that the moment he hurts you or you fear him please walk away, don't look back, don't play the yo-yo game with your heart or your body. You deserve someone who will honor, respect you and above all never lay a hand on you or break your heart. I can tell you though that the path of experiences you walk with him will lead you to the man who will make you the happiest girl in the world
4. You are beautiful...you might not feel it every day but you are, not just inside but outside as well. Everyone around you sees it, embrace that, embrace them and love yourself.
5. If you can please get to Courtland's house five minutes earlier every day you have to pick him up from school, tell him he is loved and hug him. Tell him he is an amazing friend and how much you need him in your life. You won't regret it if you do but you will if you don't, because of your friendship with Courtland you will learn to treasure each and every friendship you have.
6. You will eventually get everything you want in life, it will take time, it's not exactly as you picture it right now but you are happy and you will have your every dream fulfilled. Your heart will be full of love and your home full of laughter and smiles. You will have a stable home for you and your family and fully enjoy your job everyday. You will be surrounded with the ones you love and the ones who love you, you'll learn quickly to cut out anyone who brings any dark cloud into your happy place.
Bottom line to this letter is that I know 16 sucks, it really does and trust me when I say there may be days when it seems like it's not worth going on, there will be heartbreak but there will be love, there maybe jokes and laughs but there will be tears. Your life from today on is a journey paved with several types of experiences but all worth having and knowing. When you get to where I am now you will be able to look back at 16 and know that it was a great time in your life and it's made you who you are but there's so much more to life than that period of time. You will become a strong, beautiful and most of all happy woman...hold onto everyday from here on out, you can do it!
Trust in Life, Trust in Love...
29 Year Old Penny