30 Days Until I'm 30!5/28/2014
I turn 30 on June 26th. That is 30 days from tomorrow, if my calculations are correct. I am in the final month of my 20's and I wouldn't mind leaving this decade of life on a high note. I entered my 20's bright-eyed and bushy-tailed. I was working for an archival company and struggling with the decision to go to school when I said good-bye to my teens.
Since then I have lived in 6 homes, driven 5 different cars, cruised through Alaska, had 7 different jobs (I’m working my best one now, known as “mom”), and become debt free except for our house. I have had two beautiful daughters and have a third baby on the way. I’ve also married a man who makes my heart swoon over the moon and back and getting ready to celebrate 3 years of marriage this year.
It's been a whirlwind decade. And these are just the brief highlights!
But, whether I like it or not, I'm about to say goodbye to this season of life. I have more than a few extra pounds, an increasing number of gray hairs that hair dye covers (thankfully) and a new-found set of wrinkles to help me usher in my 30's. Ready or not, here I come!
My 29th year has been amazing for me. It will be difficult for me to say goodbye to my 20's but I won't think twice about saying goodbye. I am more than happy to put this decade behind me and look forward to the years I have ahead.
I entered the final year of my 20's with a love for my family that is stronger than ever. I have a man who stands beside me through thick and thin. We are not perfect but every day when I lay my head down my heart is 98% happy and those are pretty good odds to me! The other 2% is always the random crap in my head and heart that we all worry about…money, time, health and struggling relationships. My daughters are the most amazing and frustrating part of my day, but hey, that’s kids for you! However, without fail several times a day they walk over to me, hug me, kiss me, tell me they love me and my heart is filled with a love I never knew existed until I knew they existed inside me.
And in the process of life I have admittedly become very self-absorbed. I've been mentally, emotionally and at some points even physically drained. I have stopped putting effort into non-essential areas of life, including some relationships that have hurt to let go of. However, giving to others brings joy to my heart. I need to be emotionally present for the family that I have, not emotionally caught up in the family that I want.
I plan on taking the next 30 days to truly celebrate everything I’ve accomplished and gained in my 20’s. I look forward to spending nights on the porch with my husband chatting, days at the playground with my girls playing and maybe a visit to the beach. In between all that I get to celebrate Father’s Day with all the dad’s in my life, my mom’s birthday and a night out with girlfriends to celebrate my birthday. The cherry on top is a “surprise” birthday vacation weekend my husband has planned for me, just him and me.
30 will usher in some awesome things for me, the biggest being the birth of baby #3 in November. This also marks our favorite time of the year in our house, the holiday season. I look forward to the insurance decrease, the smiles, the laughs and a virgin margarita or two until the baby arrives to celebrate going into the next decade of my life!
Let me know how you felt about turning 30 or if you recently turned 30 let me know how you celebrated. Was it a huge party? Did you lounge around the house? Did you vacation? I’d love to hear about how you marked the beginning of this new decade in your life!